A dental implant is not a simple dental procedure, but a complete surgery. This means, it needs proper attention and after care. Especially, right after getting the implant, there are things that you must and must not do.
If you are about to get dental implants, here we have listed a few handy tips for you. Go through them, and keep them in mind, as it will help you recover faster as well as maintain healthy implants for lifetime.
Taking care of dental implant
Keep your mouth clean:
- Keeping your mouth clean is extremely important after an implant. Right from the evening of your surgery, you can start brushing your teeth. However, for the first few days, avoid brushing the area, but later gradually start cleaning it with a brush.
- A cup of hot salt water can do wonders for your implant. It will boost the healing process, and thereby make you feel more and more comfortable. Of course, ensure that the water is not very hot. Try to hold the water over your surgical area until it cools. Try doing this repeatedly as much as you can.
- Don’t chew around your surgical area for a few days, and after every meal immediately rinse your mouth.
- Make sure to avoid smoking by all means, as it will slow down the healing process.
Things you should avoid:
- Avoid hot beverages and food items for the first day. In fact, try to stick to only cold drinks.
- Don’t eat anything until the local anesthetic wears off.
- Don’t disturb the surgical area with your fingers or even tongue.
- Don’t do heavy and vigorous exercises for at least the first 2 days.
Visit your dentist regularly:
Make sure you have scheduled post-operative appointments with your dentist well in advance. It is extremely important for the health of your dental implant that you consult and take expert advice about the progress. You must at least visit your dentist once in every 6 months. Also, if there is a need for more frequent appointments, your dentist will inform you about the same.
After getting the implant, it is utmost important that you have a smooth and pleasant recovery. For this, it is vital that you follow all the tips given above as well as the aftercare steps recommended by your dentist. Lastly, if you have concerns or questions regarding the progress of implant, don’t hesitate on calling your dentist.